I have been taking swimming lessons for the past one and half month. I have the most patient and encouraging instructor- Tony. I tend to ask a lot of questions ( Jai can share enough tales on how irritating I can get with questions).
Coming back to Tony, while most learners just observe him and go on to practice, I end up asking him many questions to clarify a move. Something like this " Tony, the hands and legs should synchronise? Does my body have to be shaped like a boat? And how does it help? The water is pushed by my legs or the whole body? So my tummy should be pushed up? So this move is like a frog? Do my feet have to be like a ballet dancer? Isn't that quite like a duck? etc etc.
Now Tony has understood that I am going to ask him a lot of questions before I try to float and practice. So today, he taught everyone how to do an elementary backstroke. He asked me to wait and then went on to explain everything. "The legs and hands have to be synchronised , Flap and kick at the same time, your stomach and bum shouldn't sink, let your hands flap hard and legs not be shaped like a ballet dancer but be more like a ducks feet" I look at him and we both burst out laughing. He then told me that he actually likes me asking questions and trying to understand the techniques through examples.
No comments:
Post a Comment